Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Art Appreciation

On a whim I stopped by the local theatre box office on my way to get groceries around noon today.  Honestly, I'm not much of live theatre person.  Plays rarely keep my interest for long, but I figured with the venue so close to my house I should try it out.  "Do you ever sell discounted tickets for shows just before the show starts," I asked, hoping to find a good deal on seats that would otherwise stay empty.  "No," the ticket seller replied, "but I'll give you my discount for tonight's show". Her discount was less than a third of the original price, so I decided to keep following this whim and asked about the performance.  I almost laughed out loud when she told me the play being performed, but I thought it might come across as rude and it would have been difficult explaining myself.

Surprisingly, they were performing a play based on book I've read and liked.  The book was also made into a very good movie.  Since I was familiar with the plot and she was giving me a really, really good price on the ticket, I bought a seat for the show.
This is my ticket stub for the play "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".  For many reasons, I thought it would be hilarious to watch this play in a language I don't speak in part of the world that seems to be locked in an incomprehensible struggle.


What I didn't realize is how additionally funny it would be to watch it at the 5 p.m. showing. Here's a hint for those of you under 70 who might be visiting the Be'er Sheva playhouse in the future: If they give you the option of the 5 p.m. show or the 8:30 show, choose the later one.


Here is a shot of the stage just a few minutes before a couple hundred of Be'er Sheva's older set and I settled in to watch the play.




At the beginning of the play I expected to come home and write some pithy blog about dealing with the madness in this and other parts of the world.  Too obvious.  Thankfully, that wasn't what struck me about the experience.  To my surprise, I really, really enjoyed the play.  In some ways I enjoyed it more by not knowing the language.  Since I was familiar with the story line, but unable to follow the dialog, I studied the performances of the individual characters and pondered the symbolic elements of both the story and the play.  Someday I'd like to be like Ken Kesey and write something that's meaningful to people regardless of the language they speak.  This experience helps me appreciate the work being done by my friends Becca, Judy, and Sarah on their art-based IPSPs.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On behalf of the art loving public servants -- thanks for the appreciation and love! As our dear friend Hurley once put it... dude, once you are past surviving, you gotta have a little fun. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to incorporate Hurley. I like it. Also, I love that you went to a play- way to just go with your whim. Maybe it will bring you to Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would imagine that would be an extremely difficult play to perform. Did they have a fog machine? I, of course, love the book and the movie but as separate works. I don't see the two as very well connected, because we lose the "fog" of Chief. That's why I wonder about the fog machine. So glad you did something on a whim! I love doing things on whims! They are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually don't remember the details of the book very well, so I'd forgot about the fog. That definitely explains a part of the play that was unclear to me. This director chose to represent the fog with a projection of white television noise onto the entire stage from a movie projector in the back of the theatre at various points in the play. Cutting through the static we could hear the Chief talking/thinking to himself. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! You can't see my face right now (because it is in Africa) but it is both happy for you and a smidge of jealous. I wonder what show they'll do next!

    ReplyDelete