Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Addiction.

Hello.

My name is David.

And I'm addicted to books.

Anyone who helped me move into, or out of, my apartment this year and anyone who visited my apartment this year probably knows this.  I have a lot of books.  If books were words, I'd have an epic poem.  If books were letters, I'd have an ocean of alphabet soup.  I know I have a lot of books, but I never considered it an addiction.

One book is not that heavy, but when you gather 3 or 4, they get pretty hefty.  On my 10-week journey to another country my luggage is two backpacks, not rolling suitcases, backpacks that I had to carry.  In my two backpacks, I brought 17 books.  For those of you not from here, that's Hebrew for SEVENTEEN.  Even after lugging those books through a couple of airports, a bus, a train, and a taxi, I still never once thought to myself, "I'm addicted books."

This past week Be'er Sheva has been home to some sort of literacy campaign.  As part of this campaign, there were many books for sale and on sale. Many. Beautiful. Books. On sale.  Buying a book on sale does not make one an addict.  No, it wasn't the two books I bought in English that tipped me off to my addiction.  It really wasn't even the children's books in Hebrew that I bought.  After all, I'm trying to learn Hebrew right.

What really brought me face to face with my addiction was the pictures. I was taking pictures to share my purchases on this blog.  I thought I might even introduce Flat Stanley and wrap it all together with a literacy bow.

I was taking these pictures...
This is one small section of the glorious book sale that was filled with tables and tables of books.

I bought the book below because it's in English and it's by a famous Israeli author.  File under the excuse: It will help me get to know the culture.

This one is also in English and by an acclaimed Israeli author.  It was recommended to me by my colleague Amny. Also filed under the excuse: Getting to know the culture.

This is one of several children's books I purchased.  All filed under the excuse: It's a good strategy for learning the language. Really.


Notice anything wrong with this picture?  I didn't. 

Took me several minutes to realize that the book was UPSIDE DOWN!  I'm now purchasing books that not only can I not read, but I can't, without serious thought and effort, place right side up.  I can't avoid the truth any longer.

Shalom.

My name is David.

And I'm addicted to books.

7 comments:

  1. I've got a word analogy for ya:
    If Carrie Bradshaw:shoes :: David Monteith: books.
    Also can I borrow Love and Darkness after you're finished? I want a book report! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh books may be my first love. I love the way they look, smell and feel. I'm not as addicted as you, I don't think, but I definitely have a problem. I love being surrounded by them. I love being able to talk about the ones I've read when people come over and ask about them. Oh I love, love, love them! And you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ironic part is that you possess all these books, but remind me again, how many have you actually read?

    ReplyDelete
  4. More than one. Less than all. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. David, good luck in your journey. And beautifully written post. Loved the alphabet soup image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believed you managed 17 (seventeen) books! Where did you put your clothes?

    Also, I'm going to contest your assertion that you are a book addict. Addition applies to things (drugs, alcohol, sex, buying stuff, etc) that, while it gives you instant gratification, just ends up hurting you in the long run. Books don't hurt you in the long run...unless the mountain of books in your apartment avalances on top of you or if our world suddenly becomes victim to the plot of Farenheit 451. Even more likely, you might strain your back toting your 17 books through an airport or so you can have some "light" reading on a weekend camping trip. Just kidding on that last one. :-)

    In fact, you are better off in the long run for having read books. (1) Because reading books makes you happy, reading books (even a lot) is good. (2) Because better educated people statistically make more money, you might end up with more dinero in the long run. (3) Because you will generally be "learned." BTW ignorance is not bliss.

    Hope this helps. :-)

    ReplyDelete