Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Pharyngal Voiced Fricatives and Love

Two days ago I went to a conference entitled Feminism: From Theory to Practice among the Bedouin women. It was presented in Hebrew and Arabic and attended by roughly 30 Bedouin women. In order to get something useful done with my time I alternated between watching the body language of the participants when each of the five panelists presented, and reading the book "The Arabic Alphabet: How to Read and Write it".

At one point in the book, the authors are describing one of the letters of the Arabic alphabet, which has no equivalent in English, and they write "The only real way to learn it is to listen to Arabs and practice incessantly," then they go on to say, "In scientific phonological terms, this letter is a pharyngal voiced fricative."

Huh?! A what?

I expect to be confused by listening to or reading Arabic, but that last sentence is in English and I still have no idea what it means.

Contrast that experience with this one. Yesterday I attended a much smaller conference with three of my colleagues, all Arab women. We were meeting in order to discuss options for a website I'm helping to create for the organization. At the beginning of the meeting they made apologies and explained that they'd be speaking in Arabic. Understandable. It's more efficient since their English, while infinitely better than my Arabic, is still cumbersome.

After being here for three weeks, I've realized that this is probably the way it's going to be while I'm here - I'm just not going to understand most of what is spoken.

Anyway, the meeting continues. Amny pulls up the site she and I worked on together and then she pulls up a rough draft I created using another program.  The women discuss the pros and cons of each for a while, and then there is a shift in the conversation. Even though everything is still being said in Arabic, it's clear to me that one of the three women has either recently fallen in love or is about to get married. They talk about this for a minute and then move back to pointing at the screen and discussing the websites.

During our debrief later that day Amny confirmed that the other woman was having a formal engagement party this weekend and will be getting married soon.

After the confusion of the day before, which exemplifies the daily confusion I've resigned myself to, it was uplifting to be reminded that sometimes I'll still be able understand and connect with the women I'll be working with regardless of language and cultural barriers.

Addendums, p.s.'s, and additional thoughts:
1. That one sentence aside, the book I mentioned is actually astonishingly good at explaining the Arabic alphabet.
2. Here is the link to the rough draft website I'm creating for one of the organizations. I'm testing out the pros and cons of using Blogger. Any comments, thoughts, feedback, suggestions, or criticisms are welcomed and appreciated. Daughters of the Desert.

4 comments:

  1. According to what I remember from my brief foray into linguistics, I'm pretty sure your friend the fricative is that phlegm-clearing sound so blessedly rare in English. You should definitely start practicing. The ladies love a nice pharyngal voiced fricative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun with phonetics! I too used to know what a pharyngal voiced fricative is, and I too am struggling with that here.

    Like you were talking about with the meeting in Arabic, often people in the rural areas here will start a meeting in English to accomodate me, but the transition into Afrikaans after a while. Usually I just wait until someone remembers to start speaking English again and then ask for a summary of what was said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything about this post is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Monteith, I'm using the same book to help me to learn Arabic! I like it a lot too. I'll be practicing that fricative for the next 7 weeks. Keep trying to speak Arabic, it seems to be a very logical language... and have a great time on your trip!

    ReplyDelete