Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Homework is so...inspiring

This quest to make a difference was inspired by many things.  First, and most significant, were my students at the International School of the Americas.  While searching for ways to motivate and inspire them, I read a number of articles and books, watched a lot documentaries and news clips, visited many websites and talked to many people.
I thought I'd share a few of those from time to time.  As I tried to find a way to post images for some of the books and movies, I stumbled across this advertising feature by Amazon.  I'm a little uneasy about advertising and promoting consumerism, but I'm not so extremist in my views that I'm against buying books. 



The book Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder was one of those books that left me incapable of inaction.  After turning the last page, I knew I couldn't be content unless I was actively trying to benefit others.

Recently, I finished another book that I found just as compelling:  Whatever It Takes by Paul Tough. This book focuses on the links between education and poverty in the United States.  It tells the story of Geoffrey Canada and the Harlem Children's Zone.  Reading this book was a homework assignment and I have never enjoyed homework so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment